Monday, November 8, 2010

Bet Shemesh, Part Two

After we left the Youth Center, we drove a short distance to a Women's Holistic Center, also in Bet Shemesh.  We were treated to a truly special evening.  First, we learned about the center, which provides classes for local women.  Next, an Ethiopian woman who was carried on her mother's back through Ethiopia to Sudan to immigrate to Israel sang for us.  Then, we were provided with a feast prepared by two local women, of Ethiopian and Morrocan/Spanish descent.  The vegetarian meal was definitely different than anything Holly and I had eaten before.  I probably only tried about 50 percent of the foods offered (I am not an adventurous eater), but everything I tried, I loved!  My favorite thing was the soup, and I believe that I'll be getting that recipe!
After dinner, the Ethiopian woman gave us all a dance lesson, which was hysterical.  Video of that lesson is posted here.  Then, another woman performed the Ethiopian tea ceremony (unfortunately I wasn't close enough to get a good look) and then there was time for shopping (of course) for jewelry made by a local woman.

Truly a special evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment