Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Jerusalem - The Old City

What an incredible and exhausting day!  One hundred women walked from the King Solomon Hotel to the Aish HaTorah building in the Old City.  This spectacular building overlooks the wall and has the most spectacular views from the rooftop.  Check out our picture posted in a post below. 

We took two amazing classes -- first was Lori Palatnik teaching "The Kabbalah of You."  I found it to be fascinating - she is an incredible speaker.  The second class was with Rabbi Ken Spiro -- the class was called "WorldPerfect."  I'm too tired to write about the details of the classes tonight, but I can't wait to buy his book when I get home.

After the classes, we were each given a gift from the JWRP -- a siddur (prayer book) with our name on the cover.  Siddurim in hand, we headed out to Ha Kotel -- the Western Wall.  What an incredibly moving experience to pray there with so many other women.  I placed my prayer in a crevice among the thousands that are aleady there.  I was also happy to deliver the written prayers from friends that I brought from home.  (Funny story -- when going through the very tight security at El Al at JFK, I was asked "Did anyone give you anything to bring to Israel?"  I mentioned the notes, and he had me pull them out of my bag to show them to him.)

After a short time at Ha Kotel, we had some free time for lunch and shopping.  I bought something for J that I am very excited about.  I'm not going to mention it here, because I hope he's reading my updates!

At 4 p.m., we met up with the rest of the DC group and half of another city's group to meet our tour guide for our tour of the Old City.  The guide was extremely knowledgeable and passionate about Jerusalem.  She's also an archeologist -- so our tour of the tunnel underneath the wall was truly special.  (Those of you who know of my extreme claustrophobia probably wonder how I could possibly have done the tour . . . let's just say I was more than a little freaked out, but I'm so glad that I did it!).

Exhausted after all the touring, Holly, her mom, and I left the Old City for dinner and more shopping.  We have to cut through a beautiful, high-end mall (Mamilla) on our way back to our hotel.  :)

Tomorrow -- Masada and the Dead Sea.

3 comments:

  1. WOw, you are really blogging - way to go! This will make a wonderful keepsake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting the Wall ('98) was amazing and I it evoked a similar feeling inside me as my visit to the Isle of Patmos ('92 Greece - Christian holy site). I was overwhelmed and humbled by both experiences.

    ReplyDelete